National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Support and assistance 24/7 for anyone feeling depressed, overwhelmed or suicidal.
- (800) 273-8255
- Spanish (888) 628-9454
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing (800) 799-4889
- Chat http://www.crisischat.org/chat
NAMI Information Line – National Alliance on Mental Illness
The Information HelpLine is an information and referral service which can be reached by calling 1 (800) 950-6264, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m., EST.
2-1-1 Miami-Dade County / 2-1-1 Broward County
2-1-1 is a free, confidential referral and information service that connects people from all communities and of all ages to a specialist who will help you find local health and human services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- 2-1-1 or 305-631-4211
- Message your “zip code” to 898211
National Sexual Assault Hotline (RAINN)
The National Sexual Assault Hotline is a safe, confidential service.
Boys Town National Hotline
Crisis and support line for children, youth and their parents, 24/7 and Spanish available. Multi-topic and issue assistance.
Provides 24/7 assistance in 170 languages to adults, children, and youth with information and questions regarding child abuse. All calls are anonymous and confidential.
National Runaway Safeline
Crisis line for youth thinking about running away, for youth already on the run and for adults worried about a runaway. 24/7 help is available.
Peer advocates available 24/7 to support teens with concerns about dating violence. Chat available thru their website, or text loveis to 22522.
Trevor Project Lifeline
Provides 24/7 crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
Great Resources: Books & Audiobooks
A note on audiobooks and ebooks – you can download a great app called Libby to check out audiobooks and ebooks from your library for FREE! All you need is a library card and you link it to the app.
I have compiled a list of some great resources and books about mental health and wellbeing. Some of these are funny, some are informative resources, some are workbooks, some have been recommended to me by other therapists, and some I have read and used extensively. I have linked to the authors’ pages so you can learn more. The list gets updated periodically so check in every so often.
- An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness – Kay Redfield Jamison, M.A., Ph.D.
- Cure: A Journey Into the Science of Mind Over Body – Jo Marchant
- Big Magic – Liz Gilbert
- The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything – Sir Ken Robinson, Ph.D.
- Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone – Brene Brown, Ph.D., LMSW
- Into the Magic Shop: A Neurosurgeon’s Quest to Discover the Mysteries of the Brain and the Secrets of the Heart – James Doty, M.D.
INTROVERTS & HIGHLY SENSITIVE PERSONS (HSP)
- Quiet: The Secret Power of Introverts – Susan Cain
MINDFULNESS & MEDITATION
- Mindfulness – Ellen Langer, Ph.D.
PARENTING & FAMILY
- No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind – Daniel J Siegel, M.D. & Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind – Daniel J Siegel, M.D. & Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D.
- Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children – Thich Nhat Hanh and the Plum Village Community
- Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence – Esther Perel
- The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness – Elyn R. Saks, J.D., Ph.D.
SELF COMPASSION & SELF ESTEEM
- There is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate – Cheri Huber
- Self – Acceptance Project – Tami Simon
- The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths – Matthew McKay
STRESS & ANXIETY
- Be Mighty: A Woman’s Guide to Liberation from Anxiety, Worry, & Stress Using Mindfulness & Acceptance – Jill A. Stoddard, Ph.D.
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone – Lori Gottlieb
- Daughter Detox: Recovering from An Unloving Mother and Reclaiming Your Life – Peg Streep
- Dealing With Emotionally Immature Parents: How To Handle Toxic Parents – Priscilla Posey
- Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents – Lindsay C. Gibson
- The Body Keeps The Score – Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
- The Complex PTSD Workbook – Arielle Schwartz, Ph.D.
- Childhood Disrupted: How Your Biography Becomes Your Biology, and How You Can Heal – Donna Jackson Nakazawa
- Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving – Pete Walker
- Women Who Run With the Wolves – Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D.
- Succulent Wild Woman: Dancing with Your Wonder-full Self – SARK
- Medicine Woman – Lucy H. Pearce
DISCLAIMER: THESE BOOKS ARE NOT INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELING OR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT. IF YOU ARE IN CRISIS PLEASE FIND A LIST OF CONTACT NUMBERS HERE OR DIAL 911.